Social Icons

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Day 7 Gluten/Dairy Free

After a long weekend of cleaning, the last thing I wanted to do today was slave over a hot stove.  Last night I had a crazy idea of making steak in the crockpot.  I have been doing a really good job of cooking in the crockpot lately and since it will do all the work for me I thought "WHY NOT?"!  So after looking at several recipes online I found two that were pretty simple. The first was the steak dinner and the second was a GLUTEN FREE marinade.  Cha-Ching!  I did make a few modifications, but that is the joy of cooking!  I will include the original recipes in a link below.

By the way, this was so good!  The quantity varies depending on how many people you are going to serve.  In my case the recipe below was for three of us.  Thankfully I have a big crockpot! :)


Ingredients:
  • Steak (2 New York Strip Steaks and 1 Porterhouse Steak) 
  • Potatoes (one for each person)
  • Corn on the Cobb (one for each person, or more if desired)
  • 2 tbsp. oil for searing the steaks- I used Canola Oil
  • salt
  • pepper
  • butter or vegan butter spread
Marinade Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/2 cup French's Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 glove garlic minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Instructions:

  1. Place 2 tbsp. oil in a frying pan on medium high heat
  2. Once oil is hot add your steaks one at a time and sear for two minutes on each side. Then sear around the edges of the steak to seal in the juices.
  3. Place steaks in the bottom of the crockpot.
  4. Combine all ingredients for the marinade in a glass jar.  Close tightly and shake to combine.  Pour over steak.
  5. Cover with a sheet of aluminum foil (this will separate the meat from the vegetables).
  6. Slice your potatoes almost all the way through and pull back the sections so that you can sprinkle the inside of the potato with salt and pepper and stuff with butter.
  7. Individually wrap the potatoes in aluminum foil and place in the crockpot.
  8. Tear off sections of aluminum foil that will be big enough to wrap each ear of corn individually.  Spread butter over the sheets of aluminum foil and lightly sprinkle with salt (this will butter the corn on the cobb all the way around).
  9. Individually wrap each ear of corn and place in the crockpot.
  10. Close the lid and put the crockpot on high for 5 1/2 hours.
  11. Reduce head to Low or Warm and cook an additional 2 hours.
When dinner is done I like to pour some of the left over juices on my steak. Yumm!  However, be careful when taking the steak out of the crockpot.  The meat will literally fall off the bone.  I had to use a really big spatula to keep the steak in tact (for presentation purposes only of course).

I hope you enjoy this dinner as much as I did!  I would love for you to leave any feedback good, bad, or modified suggestions..

I wanted to also give credit to the authors who posted these two wonderful recipes. Please check out their links below:

Original Marinade Recipe (here)
Original Steak Dinner Recipe (here)

2 comments:

  1. I have never tried it before but now I can't wait to prepare it at my place.

    Regards,
    Tahitian Noni Juice

    ReplyDelete