Social Icons

Friday, July 5, 2013

Days 3, 4 & 5 Gluten/Dairy Free

I know my ramblings may not be very interesting to some.  I just picture myself leaving a journal which all can read.  If one person gets inspired it was worth sharing.

I am so proud of myself for officially finishing Day 5 of the "no gluten, no dairy" journey that I am on.  Days 1 and 2 were the toughest.  I had such insane sugar cravings and so many temptations.  However, I hung in there.  I knew I was going through withdrawals and that it would only be a matter of days before the cravings subsided.

My meal plan has been very redundant (to some degree).  I ate the same breakfast regularly.  I had my own version of a chicken soup (will post the recipe soon) for all of my lunches.  My snacks consisted of one of the following: apple, orange, pistachios, strawberries, corn tortilla chips with homemade salsa, and as of today Tofitti Cuties (soy ice cream).  The only thing that really changed was dinner.

I have come to realize that the only thing that really takes away my sugar cravings are sweet potatoes.  I made some (as French fries) yesterday.  I cut them up, drizzled them in olive oil, sprinkled cumin and cilantro on them, and baked them. YUM!  I thought if I ate something sweet (like my Cuties) that it would kill the sugar craving, but it intensifies the cravings (and makes me crave salty/crunchy too).  This is the beast I really need to work on. Dang sugar!  But, sweet potatoes come to my rescue like a knight in shining armor.

When I started this journey I had several health issues.  Two main ones were sharp pains in my head and bloating.  The swelling in my arms and legs have gone away.  I haven't had a sharp shooting pain in my head at all this week.  However, there still are a few things that bug me.

My stomach still has bloating and it seems to have extra "gas" these days.  This is really annoying.  I did some research last night, and I think it is because I changed my diet too drastically too quickly.  Plus, the extra fruits and veggies can lead to it.  I am confident though that once my stomach readjusts itself that all will go away.

The other issue is that I have been getting charley horses or tightening up of my leg muscles (all the way to my butt) which feels like the onset of a charley horse.  I think this may be due to a pinched nerve in my back.  I consistently have pain around my hips and spine.  If I can get back on my workout routine and strengthen my back muscles I am sure that this too will go away.

Well folks, it is midnight here in beautiful North Carolina.  It is time for me to gather my beauty sleep.  But, I wanted to drop a few lines for those that may be thinking of joining this journey.  Hopefully, I can give you some insight along with food ideas.

Chow!

No comments:

Post a Comment