Social Icons

Monday, August 27, 2012

Food: A Powerful Obsession

There is an emotional connection to food. If there wasn't then we would all be skinny. There is something about the way it tastes on our pallette, smells in our nostrils and appeals to our eyes. There is definitely a comfort in the way food connects to all of our senses.

Today, I saw an obese women whom I have seen in the past. However, today as I headed off to lunch I thought to myself, "Why do people let themselves get so big. Why don't they just stop cramming their plates full of food? If they would just STOP doing all the things that got them fat in the first place they may actually start losing weight."

This is where I stopped myself and said, "I AM 'they'." By definition, I too am obese. Just because I fill my plate up with small portion sizes and have to go back 5 or 6 times for more does not make me any different than the person who crams it on their plate the first time.

The one thing I have learned (which someone who's never been fat may never learn) is that there is an obsession with food that has to be dealt with if you truly want to loose weight and keep it off for good. 

Right now what is working for me is that I have found a new obsession. I can proudly say YOU, my readers, are my new obsession. As I have mentioned a million times before, I want to inspire YOU. I believe my goal on earth is to motivate and encourage others. If I am doing something just for my benefit I don't feel the same kind of satisfaction that I feel when i know I am helping someone else.

I am curious to know what will be your new obsession once you realize that food no longer has control over you. There is something very rewarding and powerful when you realize that food is meant to keep you alive  and not kill you.  Learning how to take control over food takes patience, knowledge, and WILL. Without those three things you may find that the cycle to lose weight will have no beginning and sadly, no end.

No comments:

Post a Comment